Friday, August 24, 2007

Reading Log. As I Lay Dying

As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner) (1930)



-I could just remember how my father used to say that the reason for living was to get ready to stay dead a long time. And when I would have to look at them day after day, each with his and her secret and selfish thought, and blood strange to each other blood and strange to mine, and think that this seemed to be the only way I could get ready to stay dead, I would hate my father for having ever planted me. I would look forward to the times when they faulted, so I could whip them. When the switch fell I could feel it upon my flesh; when it welted and ridged it was my blood that ran, and I would think with each blow of the switch: Now you are aware of me! Now I am something in your secret and selfish life, who have marked your blood with my own for ever and ever.
-

Commentary at WF on the Web [link]
Faulkner Collection at Univ. of Virginia [link]
wikipedia [link]

No comments:

 
*please cite or link when reposting*